Sunday, April 17, 2011

Managing Transitions

I've been thinking recently about transitions. In education, we talk about managing transitions, between activities, going to lunch and recess, or other "down times." But in real life, transitions are so much more.

My transitions have been many. From high school student to college student, to employee, to wife, mom, student again, and teacher. Each of these transitions have made me into the person I am today. This reminds me of the "what you do with your - (dash) on your tombstone. The transition is important as the steps it takes to get there.

So what transitions are occuring now? For one, I'm blogging. As a logical math person, this is a big step outside my comfort zone into the touchy-feely world of words. And the huge transition as my school is implementing a STEM program. This transition has been a roller coaster. I love the excitement during this transition, as students are engaged in problem based learning, using technology, creating projects to demonstrate their learning. Then there's the frustration of not having the resources available to do some of the things I'd like to do. Then there's the hecticness (ok, not a real word!) of meeting deadlines and documenting our progress during this time of change. Add to that the apprehension of some of the teachers in our school as they are stepping outside of their comfort zones. I am eager to see the results of this transition as we move forward.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    Change is never easy, but often productive.

    It's an art to make a transition into something truly creative.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete